Parenting Styles


There is many types of parenting I am just now coming to understand what types of parents I grew up with and I’m learning what type of parent I want to be. There are parenting styles like permissive, authoritarian, and authoritative, and uninvolved. Permissive is where parents set rules but rarely enforce them, don’t give out consequences very much, and they think your child will learn best with little interference from you. Permissive parents usually take on a more of a friend role than a parent role. They encourage their children to talk to them, but they don’t put much effort into discouraging poor or bad choices. Authoritarian is where parents think that their children should be seen and not heard. When it comes to rules, it is the parents own rules with no exception to why the children need to follow them. These types of parents aren’t considerate with their child’s feelings. They want their kids to feel sorry for their mistakes instead of helping them solve a problem. Authoritative is a parenting style where they put a lot of effort into creating and maintaining a positive attitude with their children. They try to build relationships with them. There is explanations behind their rules and reasons and take a child’s feelings into consideration. They also enforce rules as well as consequences. The last parenting style is uninvolved where parents don’t care to spend time with their child, they don’t know where their child is at most of the time and don’t ask them about their feelings. They expect children to raise themselves. They don’t make time for their children’s needs.
There are different types of parenting styles because each parent has a different personality. They have a different personality from their spouse and they could’ve grown up in a different style then their spouse did. My parents grew up in different environment’s and different ways of how they were parented. Although my parents work together on raising my family, their personalities are different and there are some things that my parents did differently then each other. For example, my dad is good at checking up on people. Even when I’m up at school, I talk to my dad over the phone at least once a week. My mom on the other hand is always more there for us in person. She is more involved and presently there than my dad is. They are both great ways, but they are different ways of using parenting because they have different personalities. Another example is that my dad is a worrier. He worries about everything and my mom is more chill about things. When something needs to be done, he will constantly worry about it until it is done, but on the other hand, my mom doesn’t worry nearly as much as he does. If something isn’t done, my dad worries so much about things that he stresses about it. There are different things that are done by each of my parents just because they were taught in different ways by how they were raised.
There are many times where we go to a certain parent for certain things. I know that my siblings and I would go to my mom for money, or for advice at school. We would go to my dad if we wanted to go out and do something with a friend. Depending on what we wanted, we would go to a certain parent because we knew that we would most likely get the response that we wanted. I went to my mom for a lot of more personal things. I went to my dad if I needed help fixing something or wanted to play a sport. Although my parents have different personalities and sometimes used their own methods to parent me and my siblings, they were still great parents. They are hands on parents and are still that way. I know that I can go to my parents for anything. They definitely have helped each of my siblings in many ways and they have especially helped me. Most of all, they are always loving. No matter what we do, my parents have always loved us and have been supportive. I am grateful to have the kind of parents I have and that they have always been a huge part in my life.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Effects of Divorce

About Me

Finding The One